Thursday 3 July 2014

The First Rule by Robert Crais - A Review (4 Star)

At first I was not sure. The character of Joe Pike was a little "Jack Reachery" for me, appearing as a fairly one-dimensional tough guy - the likes of which we have seen many times before.

But there was just something about this book...

It was my first foray into Robert Crais-Land and I have already bought a ticket to head back there (though this time it is one of his Elvis Cole stories). For me it was something akin to Lee Child meets Michael Connelly, combining action and modern noir quite nicely. The plot was intriguing, chucking up the odd unexpected twist and the writing drove the story with real momentum.

Normally I read on the train, in bed and sometimes at lunch. But this was the first book in a while that had me dropping other passtimes to try and make up some more time to read.

Like I say, it loses a star for its fairly plain protagonist, but apart from that I have no regrets...

No comments:

Post a Comment