Monday 23 February 2015

Sacred by Dennis Lehane - A Review (3 Star)

3 Stars means "I liked it" according to Goodreads and I am not sure I can go much further than that.

The first two Kenzie & Gennaro's were fascinating reads because they packed all of the punch of a hard-boiled detective novel while retaining some understanding of the humanity of evil. In this story the evil is for evil's sake and it leaves little room for the moral ambiguity I truly long for in the genre. Because of this, there is none of the internal conflict of the main characters that I enjoyed in the first two books - they are free to do villainous things to the villains.

The other problem I had was the love story. This was the first real love story of the series and yet it was not. Part of the interest was the romantic and sexual tension between the two main detectives with past relationships and habits getting in the way, along with the potential jeapordy of an existing, extremely strong brother-sister like bond. Because they were able to fall for one another it allowed the book to take a bit of a love-conquers-all stance, again freeing the protagonists from morality for the sake of their selfish desire to preserve their love. The other problem I had with this is that one of them should have had some serious emotional baggage to deal with as a result of previous books in the series. This was dealt with flippantly and naively at the beginning of this book and then ignored for the rest.

So unfortunately, whilst I did like this book, I did not love it.

And don't get me started about the end/resolution....

No comments:

Post a Comment