Wednesday 16 July 2014

GR Question 1 - How do you get inspired to write?

Inspiration does not happen for me in a lightning bolt kind of way. I just started writing because I have seen so many films and read so many books I kept coming up with how to make the stories I was enjoying (or not) better.

Eventually it got to the point where I could no longer fit all the ideas in my head and so they had to go somewhere.

So I suppose I pick up little ideas along the way in life and let them morph and grow hopefully into something that's not been seen before or goes a little beyond and twists the cliches.

I am an ideas man, and that has been both and a strength and a weakness in my writing process. i enjoy writing plot, but it normally extends too far too quickly and it makes staying in the writing "moment" difficult. I can be writing a scene and find myself thinking what impact this will have two books further on in the series.

The trick is to store it all, otherwise writing can become frustrating. If you're not careful you become bored of what you are writing because you are distracted by what you will write in the future. And if you're bored writing it, you can bet the readers will be bored reading it. So I always take time out to draw up the plans and jot down the notes and the scenes of the ideas I have that run separate to the one I am working on. That way i can come back to it when I move onto the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment