Wednesday 16 July 2014

GR Question 2 - How do you deal with writer’s block?

If I am suffering from writer's block, I simply stop writing...

Normally it does not get to this as I am often playing with several ideas at once within my head and if one idea is not sparking my creativity another may be. The fact is if you are not being stimulated to write something, your readers certainly won't be stimulated to read it. Forcing yourself to write is a lot easier than forcing readers to read - so don't bother. If a story is not pulling you along with its momentum then its time for a break.

In this situation, the first thing I do is look at potentially doing some more research on my story. I try and build more around the history of my characters and locations and try to map out exactly how each one of them has got to where they are. So I research their profession or where they grew up - look at the politics and education of their upbringing or past relationships. A lot of this will never get anywhere near the pages of the story, but helps to fashion each element in a more realistic and natural way. If I know what sort of life a character has lived then their actions and words will come out automatically as I write. This researching either helps my writing once the block has gone or unveils new angles and ideas for my stories, thus tearing down the block itself.

And if all else fails I read books and watch films. This is the source of my spring of creativity - looking at stories gone by and recognising the strengths and weaknesses of each. Whilst I don't rip off other people's ideas I will often come across an arc and think "that was good, but it would have been better if..." and so I twist and morph it into something original.

The key to it all is not to force anything. If you absolutely can not continue to write a story perhaps it is time to be ruthless and ask "is it really that good?" Always challenge yourself to write something you can't leave alone - because then hopefully your readers will feel the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment